Kelley, Charles, the genial proprietor of the Central House in Penn Yan, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1816,
and in 1846 came to America with his father and stepmother, making the entire distance from his home to Penn Yan
by water. He learned the painter's trade and worked at it several years, and afterward read law with A. V. Harpending
for a time, but did not continue the study. In 186o he bought a part of the property now covered by his hotel and
soon after made other purchases. In 1862 he helped to raise a company for the Rebellion, and was mustered in in
October, 1862, he taking a commission as second lieutenant of Co. C, Forty fourth New York Volunteers, Infantry,
"Ellsworth's Avengers" He was mustered out in 1864 with the rank of brevet captain. Returning from the
service, Captain Kelly remodeled his Jacob street property and opened a hotel. The buildings were burned in 1872
and at once rebuilt. The Central House is one of the most popular hostelries of Penn Yan. In 1876 Mr. Kelly married
Margaret A., daughter of Francis Graham, of Geneva. Four children have been born to them, three of whom are living.
History of Yates County, N. Y.
with illustrations and biographical sketches
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Edited by: Lewis Cass Aldrich
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1892
Yates County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium