Williams, Fletcher, was born at Bennington, Vt., June 19, 1817. His parents were Dr. Richard P. Williams and
Lucy Fletcher. They moved to Newark. N. Y., while their children were young, and resided there until their death.
Their children were Stephen K. Williams, of Newark. N. Y., of whom mention is made elsewhere; Lucy L., who married
Samuel S. Morley, of Clyde, N. Y., and is now deceased; and Noel Byron, who died while a young man; Fletcher Williams
married Ann Eliza Ford, daughter of Aaron Ford, of Columbia county. N. Y., October 18, 1840, by whom he had two
children, a son and a daughter. Their son, A. Ford Williams, is now living at Chatham Center, N. Y., but their
daughter, who married Rev. Walton W. Battershall, now of Albany, N. Y., died at Rochester. N.Y., September 25,
1872, leaving three children. Mrs. Fletcher Williams died at Newark, N. Y., January 29, 1851. Mr. Williams on June
23, 1859, married Ann Eliza Grant, daughter of Eliab T. Grant, of Newark, N. Y., and her death on June 27, 1861.
again, left him a widower. No children were born of this marriage. On June 28, 1865. he married his present wife,
Sarah H. Rose, of Rose Hill, Wayne county, N. Y., by whom he has had four children, Charles R., Fletcher, jr.,
Rose and Arthur R, all of whom are living, except the first mentioned, who died near Devers, Texas, March 24, 1894.
Mr. Williams has been in his business life a very prominent factor in the improvement and building up of the village
of Newark. When about eighteen years of age he began his business career as a clerk in the store of Esbon Blackmar
at Newark, where he continued for about two years. He then formed a partnership with Abel T. Blackmar, which lasted
for about two years, and after that with Henry Meesick he opened a general store of his own at East Newark, in
which he continued about the same length of time. He then organized at Newark a State bank, the Bank of Newark,
and it was in the year 1863 reorganized into the First National Bank of Newark, N. Y., of which Mr. Williams has
ever since been president. He has always been the active and controlling man in each of these banks, and his was
one of the few State banks that came through the crisis of 1857 without failure. His conservative management has
added much to the prosperity of the place, and in all monetary crises his bank has had the confidence of the public.
Mr. Williams has been active in the support and building up of the Episcopal church at Newark, and his contributions
to it have exceeded those of any other member. He has always been a member of its vestry, and for many years a
warden, and for sometime was treasurer of the Diocese of Western New York. He has never been a politician nor held
public office, though he has had many trusts confided to his care. He has devoted himself to his business and preferred
not to be diverted from it, believing that the one occupation to whicir he has devoted his life fully sufficient
for his time and strength.
Landmarks of Wayne County, New York
Edited by: Hon. George W. Cowles
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1895
Wayne County, NY
Names A to C
Names D to H
Names I to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium