Biography of Jacob T. Van Buskirk
Wayne County, NY Biographies





Van Buskirk, Jacob Tremper, was born at Buskirk's Bridge, N. Y., May 5, 1823, at which place he passed the earlier years of his life. In 1842 he came to Clyde, and resided here from that date until his death, June 2, 1891. He was postmaster at Clyde during President Taylor's administration from 1849 to 1853, and served as deputypostmaster for more than twenty years. Upon the completion of the New York Central Railroad, in 1854, he was appointed the first ticket agent in Clyde. He was amongst the first to volunteer his services in the Rebellion, enlisting as first lieutenant of Company B, 111th N. Y. Volunteers, and on his departure to the front he was presented with a handsome and valuable sword by the citizens of Clyde. This sword is now the property of his eldest son, a cherished emblem and revered heirloom. At the surrender of Harper's Ferry, in 1862, Lieutenant Van Buskirk was taken prisoner, parolled, and afterward honorably discharged. In 1869 he was elected a justice of .the peace, and held the position continuously by reelection until his death, covering a period of nearly twenty. four years. He also served one term as justice of sessions. Mr. Van Buskirk was an active member of Snedaker Post, No. 173, G. A. R., serving as its commander and adjutant. He was prominently connected with the Presbyterian Church, being an elder therein from 1868 to 1880, and superintendent of its Sunday school from 1859 to 1872. In all positions in life he conscientiously discharged his duties with characteristic fidelity; he was honored with many offices of trust, which he ably filled to the lasting benefit of his constituents. April 5, 1849, he married Phoebe S. Lyron, who died February 14, 1886. Five children survive them, viz.: Albert M., of Clyde; Amelia L., and Barton W., of Rochester; George A., of Massilon, O., and Henry J., of Toledo, O. Albert M. Van Buskirk was the first superintendent and local manager of the Clyde Water Works, and held the position until his resignation in 1891, when he removed to Greencastle, Ind., and took charge of the water works at that city. He subsequently returned to his native town, and resumed newspaper work on the Clyde Times, with which journal he has been connected for twenty years, successively serving as apprentice, journeyman and local editor. In the spring of 1894 he was elected a justice of the peace for the town of Galen.

From:
Landmarks of Wayne County, New York
Edited by: Hon. George W. Cowles
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1895


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Wayne County, NY
Biographies


Names A to C
Names D to H
Names I to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium