Russell, Darius F., was born in Williamson, January 24, 1839, and is the third son of Nathaniel and Rachel W.
Russell, he a native of Williamson, born 1804, and she born in Vermont in 1803. Nathaniel was a son of Daniel Russell,
elsewhere mentioned in this work, a farmer who had only four months education in the common schools. He owned the
130 acres now owned by the subject of this sketch. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in the common
schools and the Monroe Collegiate Institute, and began teaching at the age of eighteen, and taught seven years.
Mr. Russell was the first man that enlisted at the first war meeting in the town of Williamson, although others
had gone from the town and enlisted elsewhere pteviousiy. He enlisted September11, 1861, in Co. 1, 17th N. Y.,
and served three years in the Army of the Potomac, and was in the Seven Days before Richmond, 2d battle of Ball
Run. He is a Prohibitionist in politics and has been chairman of the Wayne County Prohibitionist Committee for
seven years. He has been justice of the peace two years. He is a member of the Grange and was master one year.
He organized the town Sunday School Association and was president for seven years. He and his wife are members
of the M. E. church, and have taught the Young People's class for eighteen years. Mr. Russell has been twice married:
March 19, 1865, to Maria Van Ostrand, a native of Monroe, and they had two children, Fred D., aud Katie L., both
residing in Buffalo. Fred is a real estate dealer. The second time Mr. Russell married Dora V. Tuttle, a native
of Steuben county, N. Y., and they have three children: Charles P., Rachel E., and Mildred.
Landmarks of Wayne County, New York
Edited by: Hon. George W. Cowles
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1895
Wayne County, NY
Names A to C
Names D to H
Names I to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium