Biography of Willaim A. Powers
Wayne County, NY Biographies





Powers, William A., the genial and popular owner and proprietor of the Powers Hotel, corner of Main and Fayette streets, is a native of Ontario county, born in Farmington in 1852. The hotel was built as the Palmyra Hotel, on the site of the old Eagle Hotel, by a stock company in 1836, at a cost of about $12,000, and was at the time the finest hotel structure in western New York. April 5, 1838, it was sold at auction to William P. Nottingham, who became its first landlord, and continued its management for over twenty five years. The house was owned and conducted by other parties for a short time following Mr. Nottingham's retirement, and in 1867 Robert Hale came into possession and was for several years proprietor and owner. Under his management the house was changed and improved. In 1872 Joseph E. Cochran bought the furniture and fixtures, and leased the building for five years, at the expiration of which time C. B. Stewart become owner and proprietor for two years, then leased it for five years to L. D. Cummings. Pliny T. Sexton then bought the property, and in turn sold it in 1886 to Mr. Powers, who gave it its present name. This hotel is under the efficient management of Mr. and Mrs. Powers as host and hostess, and is deservedly one of the most popular in the State. It is a three story fifty room building, with a wide porch and a row of Ionic columns in front, making it strikingly attractive in appearance.

From:
Landmarks of Wayne County, New York
Edited by: Hon. George W. Cowles
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1895


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Wayne County, NY
Biographies


Names A to C
Names D to H
Names I to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium