Biography of The Cronise Family
Wayne County, NY Biographies





Cronise Family, The - Among the first settlers in Arcadia was Henry Cronise. His father, John Cronise, came in 1802 with Colonel Rochester from Frederick, Maryland, where they had been neighbors. In December, 1802, he purchased, and had surveyed by John Smith, two tracts of land, one of 260 3/4 acres east of Ganargua River, or Mud Creek, part of which is now known as the William Watters farm, south from Mud Mills, the other tract of 396 1/2 acres, two and one half miles north, which became the Oronise homestead. For the 657 acres he paid $2,628, or four dollars an acre. His deed from Sir William Pulteney was received January 12, 1803. Be afterwards returned to Maryland and died there September 29, 1803. After the death of John Cronise the first of these tracts passed to his daughter Snsannah, wife of Henry Lambright, and was known as the Lambright farm. Here the widow of John, Mary Oronise flee Fey, of Scotland, died December 19, 1823, at the age of seventy, being buried in Newark Cemetery. The second tract passed to his son, Henry Cronise, who came from Maryland in 1807, bringing with him several slaves which he soon freed, although most of them remained in his employ for many years afterward. February 14, 1813, he married Mary, daughter of Samuel Soverhill who had settled in Arcadia in 1798. About 1813 he built the frame house still standing as part of the house now upon the place, a part being added in 1836. In this house he lived until near the time of his death in 1870. Besides his farm he had at different times operated the fiouring mill at Mud Mills, the saw mill west of his farm and another at Phelps. From these mills he furnished in 1840 and 1841 the bed timbers, cross ties and upper rails (on which the strap iron track was spiked) for a section of the old Syracuse & Rochester Railroad through Phelps. He also built the Methodist church at Newark and several bridges across the Clyde River, and executed other building contracts. His wife, Mary Saverhill Cronise, died at the homestead June 6, 1867, and three years later he himself died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Liggett, in Newark, June 16, 1870, at the age of eighty one. Of the family of eight children who grew up here, six are still living, (1894), viz: Mrs. Sarah M. Demining of Oswego, Simon Cronise of Rochester, Henry Cronise of Chili; Mrs. Susan E. Leggett and John S. Cronise of Newark, and Samuel Cronise of Lyons. Simon Cronise, the third of the family in possession of a portion of the homestead tract, married October 22, 1840, Catherine Maria Fredenburgh, daughter of Martin Fredenburgh who came from Ghent, Columbia county, in 1826. Upon this place they resided from 1854 until her death in January, 1886, when he removed to Rochester, where he now resides. Of their children, Charles Theodore Cronise removed in 1872 to Logansport, Indiana, where he married charlotte Butler, afterwards removing to Pensacola, Florida. his present home, and Adelbert Cronise left the homestead in 1873 to enter the university at Rochester, afterwards taking up the practice of law in that city where he still resides, although retaining this portion of the original Cronise tract, being the fourth in possession in the ninety two years.

From:
Landmarks of Wayne County, New York
Edited by: Hon. George W. Cowles
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1895


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Wayne County, NY
Biographies


Names A to C
Names D to H
Names I to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012