Biography of Albert L. Willey
Tompkins County, NY Biographies





Willey, Albert L., was horn in Freeville, January 18, 1855. His father, Samuel B. Willey, settled where he now lives in 1825, coming from Ulster county to the town of Dryden, and has always been prominently identified in advancing the interests of his town, and for many years was interested in various business enterprises of the village. He built the first store, and for two years carried the mail from Etna to Freeville, gratis, and assisted in establishing the first post office in his grist mill. Our subject was educated in the common schools and finished at the Dryden Academy under Jackson Graves. In 1874 he bought the Freeville mill property, which he sold in 1876 to Elias Gibbs. At the age of twenty he married Helen E., daughter of Richard Head, of Lansing, and they are the parents of three sons: Horace N., F. Ray, and Clarence A. Our subject is one of the most active business men of his town, taking an active interest in advancing its best interests and in educational and religious matters, being a member of the M. E. Church of Freeville, which his father assisted in building, and which was the first church built in the village in the year 1848.

From:
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Tompkins County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012