Tripp, M. E., was born in Dutchess county, town of Stanford, N. Y., September 30, 1825, and came to Tompkins
county with his father, James Tripp, in 1836 and settled on lot No. 69, where his son now resides. James Tripp
was identified in the leading interests of his town, lived to be eighty seven years of age, and died May 6, 1879.
He was in the service of the War of 1814, was lieutenant under Captain Wilsey from Dutchess and Columbia counties.
They were stationed on Long Island to guard Brooklyn and New York from the British fleet that lay near there. In
his latter years he drew a pension of eight dollars per month. M. E. Tripp was educated in the common schools,
to which he has added through life by reading and close observation. At the age of thirty he married Miss Eliza
T. Burton, daughter of Warren Burton, of Dryden. He takes an active interest in temperance, educational and religious
matters. being an elder in the Presbyterian church of Dryden for the past fifteen years. In 1868 he bought a timber
lot of 105 acres with Joseph McGraw, and afterwards purchased his interests. In 1869 he bought part of the Dwight
& McElheny farm. In 1885 he bought part of the Albert-Clarke property, and in 1886 he bought part of the Jennie
McGraw-Fiske estate, in 1888 he bought the W. W. Elias property, having about 400 acres of timber and farm lands,
and raising large amounts of hay, grain and stock. He makes a specialty of lumbering and dairying, and having a
herd of thirty five grade Jersey cows. He is interested in promoting the Dryden Agricultural Society and the Dryden
and Groton Fire Insurance Company, also ex president of the Dryden Agricultural Society.
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894
Tompkins County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium