Sheffer, Charles E., was born in the town of Clermont, Columbia county, N. Y., April 26, 1831, was educated
in the common schools and made his home on the farm which had been in the family two generations before him. He
assisted his father on the farm till becoming of age, when he learned the carpenter's trade and became a practical
builder. He made a specialty of bridge work, and at the age of twenty eight he entered the employ of the H. R.
R. Co, with whom he was at the time of its consolidation with the N. Y. C. R. R. He was the assistant builder of
the first bridge across the Hudson River at Albany in 1866, which has since been replaced with an iron structure.
In 1869 he became an employee of the D., L. & W. R. R. Co., and was assigned as assistant superintendent of
the shops at Scranton, where he remained but seven months, when he was transferred to Ithaca, and had charge of
the car shops, and also attended to the bridge building on the line. He was employed with this company until the
change of administration in 1885, and the next year he established a grocery and provision store at the corner
of Mill and North Plain streets, where he has ever since been in the business. Mr. Sheffer is a Republican in politics,
and a member of Fidelity Lodge, No. 51, F. & A. M.; also of the Knights of Honor. In 1849 he married Hannah
A. Shepherd, of Hillsdale, Columbia county, and they have three children, Sarah E., Alice P., who is principal
of West Hill school, and Reuben W.
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894
Tompkins County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium