Putney, George E., was born in Howells, town of Wilkill, Orange county, February 19, 1851, the eldest son of
Dr. George E. Putney of that town who was a physician and druggist, dying in 1883 at the age of fifty three years.
Our subject was educated in the Walkill Academy in the city of Middletown, and went into his father's drug store
before he was ten years old. In 1867 he went as a clerk in a drug store at Orange, N. J., and a year later was
located in Cortland. In 1874 he opened a drug store at Farmer Village, Seneca county, which he conducted for two
years, then came to Ithaca to take charge of Dr. David White's drug store. In 1877 he started a store at the corner
of West State and Corn streets which he conducted twelve years, then moved to the corner of State and Plain streets,
selling out to McClure & Fisher in 1889. He then opened the drug store now conducted by J. B. Todd on North
Aurora street, and after one year bought M. Shepard's grocery and confectionery store, which he ran until November
1, 1891, then bought the drug store of F. R. Mix at 107 North Cayuga street, where he carries a complete line of
drugs, chemicals, stationery, toilet articles, etc. Mr. Putney is a manufacturing pharmacist, whose goods may be
found in many of the leading stores in the county. He is a member of the K. of H. and of the Aurora street church.
May 1, 1872, he married Helen F. Ashley, of Groton, and they have three sons and a daughter. The oldest son is
a student of pharmacy with his father.
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894
Tompkins County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium