Biography of James T. Morrison
Tompkins County, NY Biographies





Morrison, James T., was born at Ludlowville, March 22, 1829, the youngest son of a family of three children of James Morrison, who was a native of Saratoga county, coming to this county in 1816. He was a cabinet maker and engaged in that business in East Lansing. In 1826, he settled on a farm east of Ludlowville, and conducted cabinet making, chair manufacturing and farming. He was also the only undertaker in the town of Lansing for a great many years. He died November 24, 1870, at seventy four years of age. The mother of our subject, Mary Townley, was a daughter of Deacon Charles Townley, who was one of the first settlers of this county, with his brother Richard Townley. Richard and Charles Townley were natives of New Jersey and Revolutionary soldiers. They married sisters and in 1802, immigrated from Pennsylvania to Tompkins county, stopping over night with their ox team and household effects in Ithaca when there was but one house, the residence of the McDowells, and the next day resumed their journey to the town of Lansing, where they took the the military tract assigned them. James T. spent his boyhood days in Lansing, and attended school until fifteen, when he entered the employ of Henry L. Burr, who was conducting a general store at Ludlowville. He remained with Burr until 1847, when he went to New York and that year spent part of the time in Rochester. The spring of 1848 he came to Ithaca, where he was clerk for Finch & Stowell three years. In 1851 he returned to Ludlowville, where he engaged in business for himself six years. He then traded his property for a farm of 150 acres in Lansing, where he lived one year, and then came back to Ithaca in 1858, buying an interest in the business of Avery, Woodruff & Co., and the firm name became Morrison, Woodruff & Granger, existed two years, and then became Morrison & Woodruff. After one year Mr. Woodruff sold his interest to Hawkins & Finch, making the firm Morrison, Hawkins & Co. This firm continued eight years. The spring of 1869, Mr. Morrison purchased of the Downing estate what is now known as the Morrison block, where he removed his half interest and was alone in business until February, 1889, when he sold to Theodore Dobsin. Mr. Morrison is a Prohibitionist. He was twice married, and was the father of three sons and one daughter. The oldest son, William H., graduate of Cornell, is an instructor in Wilmington, Del.; Maurice, is now a student of the law department of Cornell University. The daughter and one son are deceased.

From:
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Tompkins County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012