Biography of John Little
Tompkins County, NY Biographies





Little, John, was born July 30, 1812. His father, Robert Little, came from New Jersey in 1810, and was among the earliest settlers in the northeast part of the town of Hanby, and in connection with Richard Van Etten bought a wood lot of 114 acres. He was educated in the common schools, but was soon forced to go to work clearing up his father's farm, the country being new. At the age of twenty eight he married Lydia A. Hedges, who died in 1843, and afterwards Amanda Youngs, and they are the parents of two children. In 1843 he exchanged the old homestead farm with his brother for the farm where he now resides, having sixty acres of some of the best farm land in Danby. His daughter, Cora L., married in 1885, Frank D. Fuller, and they have one son and a daughters, Claude D., and Viola L. Lamberson, Royal V., president of Cayuga Lake Salt Company, whose plant is located on the shore of Cayuga Lake at the mouth of Salmon Creek, and a resident of Ludlowville, was born in Allegany county, January 28, 1856. He is a son of Jeremiah Lanaberson, formerly of Fairfield, Herkimer county. He was educated in the common schools until twelve years of age, when he went to Union School at Warsaw, where he remained three years. During his vacations he worked in a planing mill piling headings. At fifteen he entered a store as clerk; three years later went to Chicago, Ill., as clerk in a wholesale jewelry store, where he remained three years. One of these years he acted as traveling salesman. He then returned to Wyoming county and embarked in the cheese factory business. This he followed for seven years, at the expiration of which time he was sole proprietor of three factories. The first one he went in debt for: He next interested himself in the salt business, and with other gentlemen erected the Pearl Salt Works at Pearl Creek, N. Y., in 1884, Of these works he was superintendent, and five years later sold his interest to his partners. He then spent some time in search of a location for another salt plant. In 1891, in company with Mr. Oliver, he made a careful study of the geological survey and located the present site. The careful study and good judgment exerted by Mr, Lamberson in locating their present site clearly demonstrates him to be a master in his line. They immediately began operations by sinking their wells and erecting their offices, our subject as president, A, L. White, vice president, W. W. Clute, secretary and treasurer. He married, in 1890, Jennie Herrington, of Rochester, N. Y., and they had one child, Jennie Louise, born June, 1892, He is a Republican, is a gentleman of high social standing, His ancestors were of the Mohawk Dutch and early settlers in America.

From:
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Tompkins County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012