Biography of Landon D. Krum
Tompkins County, NY Biographies





Krum, Landon D., was born near Slaterville Springs in the town of Caroline, December 5. 1882, on the farm now owned by Mr. Darius Schutt, then belonging to Mathew Krum, father of our subject. Mr. L. D. Krum's early life was passed in the town of Caroline, where he has many relatives who are among the first residents of the town. He was educated in the district schools there, and then learned the blacksmith trade with Sawyer & Winfield, who had the largest establishment in the town in those days. After finishing his trade, on December 30, 1844, he married Mary A. Mott, of his native town. April 3, 1845, he came to the town of Ulysses, locating in the southeast part, at the place named after him, "Krum's Corners," at which place he has conducted business ever since. He has four children: one daughter, Amelia A., and three sons, Lafayette, Albert J., and Herbert B., all of whom are living. Mr. Krum's father, Mathew Krum, was born in Ulster county, N. Y., in 1777, where he spent his early life and until he married. His wife's name was Margaret Van Demark whose people also were among the first settlers of Ulster county, and many of her relatives now reside in the different towns of the State. They had twelve children, as follows: Henry, Polly, Catharine, Sylvester, Stephen, Lydia, Jane, Eliza, Sarah, Abram, Landon, and Ruth. In 1806, in company with his wife and two small children, Mr. M. Krum left Ulster county for Slaterville, to found a home there, with a number of other residents of Ulster county, who had decided to make their homes in what was then quite a wilderness. Fording the river at Unadilla they came to Owego, Tioga county, and from there cut their way through the woods by following marked trees. Twelve days were consumed on the route from Owego to Slaterville, twenty eight miles. They arrived at their new home June 12, 1806. Henry, the oldest brother of L. D. Krum, married Harriet Rounseville, who was the first white child born in the town of Caroline. Mrs. Mathews Krum died at her home near Slaterville Springs in December, 1837, and her husband at the same place in April, 1863. Lieut. Gysbert Krum is the founder of the Krum family of Ulster and Tompkins county. In an Indian treaty made between the savages and Col. Richard Nicholas, the first English governor of the Province of New York, dated February 23, 1681, his name appears as witness. The Krum family were among the friends of liberty, and their names appear among those who fought, in 1775 and 1812. They were originally from Holland and are of Dutch descent, as were many of the early settlers of the State. Mr. L. D. Krum, the subject of our sketch, is one of the oldest residents of that part of the town in which he resides, and is held in the highest esteem by all who know him. He is a member of the Trumansburgh Lodge No. 157. F. & A. M., and Fidelity Chapter No. 77, R. A. M. He is the only one of the large family of twelve children, who were reared near Slaterville Springs, that now resides in Tompkins county. In the town of Caroline he has several nephews and many other relatives, among whom are the Boices, Bulls, Schutts, and Thomases, all of whom are descendants from the early settlers there.

From:
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Tompkins County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012