Biography of Thomas Hutchings
Tompkins County, NY Biographies





Hutchings, Thomas, deceased, came to the town of Dryden in 1807 and associated himself with his brother John, who came in 1805. The latter, with the assistance of his brother Thomas, who had learned the blacksmith trade, constructed a flour and feed mill, Thomas doing the necessary iron work. The mill was located about a half mile of the farm residence. John having learned the trade of ship carpenter, manufactured the mill stones from the granite rocks found in the fields and these he used during his entire life. This mill was celebrated throughout the town, the people being obliged to go to Ludlowville for Hour until its completion. Thomas Hutchings followed farming and blacksmithing, and in 1837 he bought the Abram Carmor property of seventy acres, on which his daughters now reside. He was a well known man in his town and commanded the respect and good will of all who knew him to the time of his death, which occurred January 19, 1865.

From:
Landmarks of Tompkins County, New York
Including a History of Cornell University
Edited by: John H. Selkreg
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Tompkins County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012