HENRY YOUNG, who will be remembered with feelings of respect on the part of the older element of Owego's population,
and who will also be recalled as one of the most thrifty and forehanded farmers of that town, was a native of England,
living not far from the city of Bristol. He was placed in an agricultural schoolat the age of five years and remained
there until he was graduated therefrom. He married twice, but his first wife bore him no children. He was 40 years
old when he came to this country, in 1821, and he brought with him an excellent education, a good supply of improved
farming implements, and a fair sum in cash to make a beginning in the region so new to him. The farm which he bought
and settled upon in 1824, and built up and improved so well was called the "Hickories," and is now owned
by George Young of Owego village. On this farm Henry Young, the settler, showed himself a successful agriculturist,
a man of thorough understanding on general subjects, and here, too, he did his literary work as contributor to
agricultural papers. Here he also died, September 3, 1865. Mr. Young's first wife was Elizabeth Thomas. His second
wife was Elizabeth Cullmore by whom he had two sons, Henry and George Young. George Young was born March 11, 1834,
and was always a farmer in Owego until he removed to the village; but he still owns and has worked the old farm
at the "Hickories," so long the home of his father. Mr. Young came to the village in 1889. He was married
December 24, 1862, with Sarah Pauline, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Mersereau) Catlin. Their children were
Juanita, wife of Chester Comstock; Anna Maria, wife of Dr. G. B. Lewis, and Fanny Pauline Young. In politics Mr.
Young is an earnest and active republican, and has held the office of assessor since 1892. All his family are members
of the Presbyterian church.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium