DEACON GEORGE F. WALDO was born in Newark Valley, the son of Lyman L. and Grace A. (Andrews) Waldo, early settlers
of Newark Valley, coming thither from Connecticut in 1806. The name Waldo indicates Huguenot origin. George F.
Waldo married Hannah, daughter of William Richardson, and settled in Rushford, Allegany county, at first, where
he was for four years superintendent of a woolen factory. Coming from there to VanEtten he was in charge of a factory
there for five years and then came to Waverly. After a three years superintendency of the Brooks factory here and
a nine years stay with Moses Wheelock in Sayre, Mr. Waldo engaged in the drug business in Waverly in company with
E. G. Tracy, to whom he sold his interest when, after several years, his health demanded his retirement. Mr. Waldo
was an earnest christian whose life gladdened all around him. He was a deacon of the Presbyterian church, active
in its support, and was the dearly beloved superintendent of its Sunday school for twenty five years. He died in
1891. Mrs. Waldo is now living in Waverly. Only one of their children is living, Mrs. Lizzie C. Taylor.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium