RICHARD D. VanDUZER must be mentioned among the representative men of Waverly who have by their energy and indomitable
will been the factors in forming a large business centre where was formerly only a hamlet of inconsiderable proportions.
He was born in Warwick, N. Y., on August 7, 1827, and came to Waverly on December 22, 1851, and was a merchant
until 1863, dealing also in produce and live stock. About 1864 Mr. VanDuzer was instrumental in building the first
steam flouring mill of the county at Waverly and after the burning of the mill, three years later, was engaged
in an extensive flour and feed traffic for some years. He was not alone a merchant. He was largely engaged in lumber
manufacturing on Shepard's creek in mills several times built, burned and rebuilt, did a wholesale lumber business
of magnitude and himself built later two planing mills in Waverly, both of which burned. Further than this Mr.
VanDuzer was an organizer of and the first depositor in the old Waverly bank, helped to organize the First National
bank of Waverly; superintended the construction of its bank building, and was the bank's first president. holding
the office seven years. In 1882 he established the Sayre butter package company, now one of the leading industries
of Waverly. An active republican, Mr. VanDuzer has not been an office seeker, the only ones he has accepted being
local, trustee of the village and president of the village board. A loyal and public spirited citizen, he has ever
aided in all good causes tending to benefit the community, has been long a consistent member of the First Presbyterian
church of Waverly, always contributing liberally toward its support, and for many years he was president of its
board of trustees. It was during his incumbency of that office, and under his direct supervision, that the beautiful
new church edifice was built, of which Waverly is justly proud. A man of generous and liberal views in all matters
pertaining to the elevation and advancement of the home of his adoption, he has done much toward making it what
it is today, a progressive, wide awake town. He was one of the founders of the Waverly institute, now the Waverly
high school, and was one of a few early settlers who gave generously of his limited means to insure its construction
and success. Mr. VanDuzer married first in 1850, Harriet S. Everson, who died in 1873, leaving five children; Fannie
A. (Mrs. W. H. W. Jones, of Binghamton), Howard C., Mary C., Anna L., and Richard D. VanDuzer. The two children
of his second marriage with Mary E. Dill, of Middletown, N. Y., died in infancy.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium