One of the earliest settlers of Barton was ALEXANDER H. SCHUYLER, who located on Oak Hill when all around
was wilderness. The first town meeting of Barton was held at his house in 1824, and he was elected an assessor.
Philip Church Schuyler, son of Alexander H. and Mary (Giltner) Schuyler, was born on August 6, 1824, on Oak Hill.
He was educated in the primitive schools of the town and followed lumbering and farming all his life, living on
the farm with his father and developed on Oak Hill, dying there on February 1, 1884. He was married with Margaret
A., daughter of Joseph Kishpaugh, about 1853. Of their children now living are Henrietta (Mrs. George D. Beserner)
and Fort Alexander. Mrs. Schuyler married a Manning for her second husband, and lives at Halsey Valley. Fort Alexander
Schuyler was born in Barton on September 25, 1856, and, educated in the town schools, has always been a farmer.
To render his farm more available, in 1884, he constructed a creamery in Shipman Hollow, which was the first established
in the town. He operated this for six years. In 1887 he moved to East Waverly and has since resided in the village,
where he now has a milk route. He married, first, on August 3, 1880, Nellie H., daughter of Samuel and Emily (Cassady)
Cary. Their only child, Nellie, is dead, and Mrs. Schuyler died in June, 1881. Mr. Schuyler married, second, Florence
E., daughter of David O. and Emeline (King) Curran. Their son, Allison C. Schuyler, was born June 24, 1883. Mr.
Schayler was one of the promoters and is one fifth owner of Glenwood cemetery, has served his town for five years
as highway commissioner, and for several years as an excise commissioner.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium