REV. WILLIAM H. KING, A. M., D. D., who for twenty seven years filled the pastorate of the Baptist church in
Owego, was a native of Otsego county, N. Y., born October 8, 1820, and was the son of William King, an Otsego county
farmer. William was educated at Franklin, Delaware county. Madison university in 1857 conferred on him the degree
of A. M., and that of D. D. in 1867. Mr. King came to Waverly in 1843 and began teaching, and while thus engaged
also began to preach. In 1849 he was regularly ordained a clergyman of the Baptist church, and accepted a pastorate
at Athens, Pa. In March, 1854, Dr. King was called to the pastorate of the Owego Baptist church, then beginning
the longest term in that capacity in this connection with the history of any church in the village by any pastor.
In 1881 Dr, King resigned his pastorate and afterward lived in quiet and comfortable retirement in Owego until
his death, August 10, 1896. Dr. King's wife was Hannah M. Tozer. Their children are William A. King, a manufacturer
of paints, of Brooklyn, N. Y., and George A. King, president of the King Harness Company of Owego.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium