GEORGE H. GRAFFT, son of Isaac H. and Anna (Hummell) Grafft, was born in New York City, January 15, 1840. In
1860, he came to Barton. After a residence in the town of five years he removed to Waverly, and in company with
J. Murray bought wool for two years. When the Lehigh Valley railroad was built he furnished oak lumber for the
company. Mr. Grafft married, first, Myra Bonnell. They had five children. His second wife was Stella Phillips.
Two children were born to them. In politics a democrat, he has been elected six times successively justice of the
peace. He was justice of sessions one term, and has been a member of the excise commission since 1884, and has
been its clerk. He has been a delegate to the democratic state convention, and held other positions of public confidence.
He has been chief engineer of the Waverly fire department, and for six consecutive years foreman of Tioga Hose
Co. He has been a member of the board of education fifteen years, and is now its president. He has been three times
chosen high priest of Cayuta Chapter, F. & A. M. Isaac H. Grafft was born in Lancaster, Pa., in 1809. He was
for many years the proprietor of a restaurant on Broad street, corner of South street, New York city. He came to
Barton in 1842 and purchased a farm of 400 acres on Tallmadge Hill, now owned by G. H. Grafft. He died in 1859.
His wife in 1873.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium