HUGH DUGAN, well remembered as proprietor of the' old Exchange Hotel in Owego for 17 years, and who was well
known in the village for nearly a quarter of a century before his death, was a native of county Armagh, Ireland,
and was the son of a physician of much note. He was also the grandson of an Irish lord, but the doctor having married
against the wishes of his father, was discharged and disowned. At the age of 18 Hugh came to the United States,
but not until about 1869 did he reside in Owego, having previously lived at Montrôse. He was employed at
the Central House barns about ten years, then himself bought and carried on a barn two years. In 1867 he became
landlord of the Exchange Hotel, with which he was connected until his death, October 12, 1884. Hugh Dugan is well
and favorably remembered in Owego. His beginning in life was humble and he had many obstacles to overcome; but
overcame them he did, and rose to be a man generally respected. Mr. Dugan was twice married, his first wife being
Orpha Brown, by whom he had one son, John, now in Binghamton. He married with Janette Henderson in 1863. Their
only child was Charles B. Dugan, now proprietor of the Dugan House in Owego, and of the Hotel Crandall in Binghamton.
On December 23, 1888, Charles B. Dugan married with Caroline A. Phillips. They reside at Binghamton.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium