CHARLES DEFOREST, only survivor of the three Sons and one daughter of Samuel A. and Mary (Beers) DeForest, was
born December 16, 1815, in Stratford, Connecticut. He was educated at common schools and while yet a lad his parents
removed to New Haven, and when Lafayette, on his last trip to America, 1824, visited that city, Charles had the
pleasure of shaking hands with him. Mr. DeForest lost one arm when he was a boy. Most of his life was passed in
school teaching, he having taught sixteen years in one school in Connecticut. He has also served as town superintendent.
In 1830 the family moved to Ithaca, N. Y., where Mr. DeForest taught school, and, after a few years, made his residence
in Danby and engaged in farming. About 1835 he purchased a farm in the north part of Barton and made the first
clearing and built a log house. In 1842 Mr. DeForest married Janet, daughter of Daniel Hedges. They had three sons
and three daughters. Mrs. DeForest died February 20, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. DeForest lived on this farm until their
death. Mr. DeForest was a teacher for many years in this county. In 1872 he settled in Waverly. He has held the
office of highway commissioner for three years, and for fourteen consecutive years has been superintendent of the
poor, and street commissioner for one year. The family are members of the Methodist church and he has been a trustee
of that church over thirty years.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium