CHARLES C. BROOKS, who for thirty years. has been a conspicuous figure in Waverly, town of Barton and county
public and business life, and to whom is due the honor of having driven from Waverly village the most miserable
element of humanity that ever infested any community, was a native of the neighboring village of Athens, born April
19, 1826, and was the son of Thomas Irving Brooks. In 1862 Charles C. Brooks came to Waverly and began the manufacture
of fanning mills and agricultural implements in connection with a foundry, on the site of the Decker tannery. Later
on he was connected with a sash and door factory, then in the manufacture of carriages, and afterward established
the insurance agency with which he is now connected, by purchasing the business formerly conducted by James Tozer
& Co. Under Thomas Pearl, who was sheriff in 1869-71, Mr. Brooks was deputy, and in the fall of 1871 was, himself
elected to the shrievalty, of the county. In 1885, and again in 1889, he was appointed postmaster at Waverly. From
this it will be seen that in a measure Mr. Brooks has been a public man both in local and county affairs; and indeed
it may be said that no man in the county takes greater and more unselfish interest in the welfare of Waverly than
he. He is and always has been generous and public spirited, and his commendable work in ridding Waverly of its
undesirable element of population several years. ago, fully attests his interest in the public weal. In 1847 Mr.
Brooks was married with Rhoda B. Davidson, of which marriage one child has been born, Charles E. Brooks, chief
of the Waverly police.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium