DEWITT C. BENSLEY, son of William and Ann M. (Houck) Bensley was born September 15, 1854 in the town of Barton
one mile west of the village, the farm having been purchased by his grandfather, John Bensley in 1803, which is
situated on the bank of the Susquehanna river near what is known as the "Cannon Hole." He was educated
in the common schools. After leaving school he engaged in farming until 1881, when he went to work for the Lehigh
Valley railroad for over seven years. In 1885 Mr. Bensley was elected a justice of the peace and has held this
office four terms of four years each. He was appointed a pension attorney in November, 1885, and is now in office.
He was married October 7, 1891 to Agnes A., daughter of Lyman S. and Hattie (Coon) Lum. Their only child Pearl
Rae was born June 26, 1892. In 1889 Mr. Bensley engaged in the coal business in Barton and the sales amount to
about 325 tons annually. In addition to his office of justice of the peace, Mr. Bensley was elected justice of
sessions in 1894 by 1,918 majority. He has served on the bench of Tioga county court and court of sessions with
Hon. H. J. Mead presiding judge.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium