STEPHEN BENNETT, son of Benjamin and Mary (Hosier) Bennett, was born on April 30, 1808, in Orange county. (Benjamin
was a son of Abraham Bennett, an early emigrant from England to Orange county, and was one of a family of fourteen
children. Benjamin had five children; Stephen, Eliza, Samuel, Eliza, and Edgar, all born in Orange county.) Stephen
came in 1834 to Barton and conducted a blacksmith shop for the Erie railroad, which stood near where now stands
the old brick schoolhouse. At that time there was no "Waverly," nothing but farms stretching away in
all directions. In 1850 Mr. Bennett purchased the hotel owned by Captain Davis, situated near the present hotel
Warford, and kept a restaurant and lunch room in the basement, which was the first "store" in Waverly.
He changed the name of the hotel to the Bennett house. Selling this property to Cyrus Warford in 1853, Mr. Bennett
opened a grocery on Broad street, which in. time he changed to a drug store, and this he kept for many years and
until his death. He was twice married, first, in 1832, with Margaret Little. Their children were Morris L., Oscar
F., Mary E. (Mrs. Daniel Sharpe), Frances M., and Alice M. He married, second, Saphronia, daughter of Dexter and
Laurinda Newton, in October, 1854. Children; Rosman A., Alice S. (Mrs. A. K. Gore), and Morris E. Bennett.
OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A MEMORIAL HISOTRY OF TIOGA COUNTY
EDITED BY: LEROY W. KINGMAN
W. A. FERGUSSON & CO. ELMIRA, N. Y., 189?
Tioga County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium