Spink, William H., was born in Geneva, Ontario county, June 10, 1852. John Spink, the father of William, was
a native of England, came to this country in 1844 and located in Geneva, where he followed his trade of tailor.
He removed to Hornellsville in 1854, and it was here William was reared and educated in the common schools. His
first occupation was in the mercantile line, and at about eighteen years of age he began an apprenticeship as carpenter
and builder, where there were afteen men; in less than seven years they were working for him. In 1876 he began
taking contracts for the erection of buildings. His first contract was the residence of Dave Carl. although he
was foreman builder of the Dr. Robinson block at the corner of Main street and Haker avenue. Since that time he
has erected some of the finest places of this city, viz., Columbia School building, rebuilt the Lincoln School,
Prestoll's and Hutchinson's residences, the McDougal and Smith buildings on Broad street, Nellie McDonald's building,
O. W. Pratt's residence, and Schaul Bros., Frank Bennett's house, and many other of the fine residences of the
city; also a large block of seven houses; he built fourteen houses in one season. He was married, May 7, 1874.
to Miss May Whiting, daughter of Oliver Whiting, a farmer of Hartsville, who died January 17, 1894. They have five
children: Belle, Mark W. of the academy, Frank G., Bertha M., and Florence E.
Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted by: L. C. Aldrich and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1896
Steuben County, NY
Names A to C
Names D to L
Names M to R
Names S to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium