Biography of Sylvester Sherer
Steuben County, NY Biographies





Sherer, Sylvester. - In the year 1826, Robert Sherer and his wife, Elizabeth Smith, having then only one child, Louisa, a year and a half old, found their way westward through the then almost unknown wilderness, to the place now known as Sherer's Corners, though then miles from any road. Here they cleared a spot, constructed a cabin and established a home, which they occupied till removed by death. In the years that followed there were born to them seven other children: Mary, Sarah, who died in infancy, Lewisa, Daniel, Robert and Betsey (twins), and Sylvester. Soon after the birth of the last child the wife and mother died, but the father lived to see the seven children grown to manhood and womanhood, himself surrounded by grandchildren, the wilderness turned into orchard and garden, and " made to blossom as the rose. At present there are only three of the immediate family living - Louisa, Robert, and Sylvester, who owns and occupies the homestead, he having married Mary Jane Irvin, after serving his country nearly three years, during the Civil war. He enlisted in the 141st Regt. N. Y. State Vols., and was with them in each of the fifteen actions in which they were engaged. Some of the most noted were Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Culp 's Farm, and Peach Tree Creek, in which he was wounded on July 20, 1864. On July 20, 1895, a reunion was given to the surviving members of Co. H, of the 141st Regt. of which Mr. Sherer was a member, by himself and family consisting of his wife and daughter, Bettie, they having buried their son Irvin in the year 1878, at the age of eleven years. Mr. Sherer is a Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R. Abram Allen Post No. 194 Canisteo, N. Y., and with the family belongs to the M. E. church. In the winter of 1860-61 a religious revival swept this part of the country with the result of the forming of the 2d M. E. Society of the town and the erecting of a church edifice, which in 1890, was remodeled and enlarged. It stands upon ground contributed to the society by Robert Sherer who also paid largely toward the first erection, and is connected with fine cemetery grounds also donated by him to the society and where his remains now rest.

From:
Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted by: L. C. Aldrich and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1896


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Steuben County, NY
Biographies

Names A to C
Names D to L
Names M to R
Names S to Z

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012