Peck, George W., was born in Lansdown, February 18, 1854. Rev. J. B. Peck, his father, was a native of England
and settled in Jefferson county in 1840, and for thirty five years has been engaged in the ministry of the M. E.
church, the larger portion of his work being in Steuben county. George W. began, at the age of fourteen, to learn
the hardware business, entering the employ of Powers & Wagoner in 1870. In 1875 he formed the partnership of
Wagoner & Peck, and in 1876 purchased Mr. Wagoner's interest, and in 1880 he removed to Prattsburg and purchased
the hardware stock of George H. Look. In 1883 he established a branch store at Pukeney, and in 1886 purchased the
Harris stock at Cohocton. In 1888 he purchased the stock of Hodgman & McNamara of Bath, and in 1893 established
a branch store at Bradford, N. Y., and in 1894 the business was put into a stock company, under the name of the
George W. Peck Hardware Co., starting in 1875 with yearly sales of $4,000, in 1894 the aggregate amount was $150,000.
In 1884 he married Flora, daughter of B. Griswold, by whom he had four children, George G., J. Arthur, Warren B.,
and Flora M.
Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted by: L. C. Aldrich and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1896
Steuben County, NY
Names A to C
Names D to L
Names M to R
Names S to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium