Baldwin Family, The. - The family of Baldwins is descended from Henry Baldwin, who came from Buckingham, England,
about 1627. He settled in Woburn, Mass. His son, Benjamin, the youngest of twelve children, moved to Canterbury,
Conn., about 1700. Rufus Baldwin, father of James and Henry Baldwin of Addison, was born in Canterbury, Conn. in
1705. In 1812 he was connected with the Light Guards and gained the title of major. In 1821 he came to Tioga county,
Pa., purchased some 1,000 acres of timber land on the Cowanesque River, and engaged extensively in the manufactureot
lumber. In 1825 he married Pamelia Wombough, daughter of Wm. Wombough, one of the pioneer settlers of Addison.
In 1834 he removed to Addison and settled upon a farm about one mile east of the village, where he lived until
1851, in which year he moved into the village of Addison and retired from the active duties of life. He was one
of the pioneer movers in the founding and erection of the Addison Academy in 1848. Through his efforts the first
sash and blind factory was built in Addison. He was one of the projectors and stockholders of the plank road from
Addison to Elkiand. Major Baldwin was chosen to several important places of trust by the citizens of Addison. He
was interested in every enterprise that had for its object the improvement of his towil or the benefit of society.
He was a man of strict business integrity, and was genial and sociable. He died in 1883; his wife died in 1866.
Landmarks of Steuben County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Harlo Hakes
Assisted by: L. C. Aldrich and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1896
Steuben County, NY
Names A to C
Names D to L
Names M to R
Names S to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium