Palmer, J. M., Russell, was born in Wilna, December 11, 1830, a son of Ichabod, a native of Vermont, who came
to Jefferson county and there married Lura Cooley of that county, by whom he had eight children, six now living.
Mr. Palmer and wife came to Russell in 1847, and took up four thousand acres of land near the village of Russell.
Mr. Palmer was justice of the peace and highway commissioner of the town. J. M. Palmer, our subject. was born and
reared on the farm, educated in the public schools, and being more than ordinarily studious, managed to become
possessed of a good business education, and by a thorough course of reading became a well informed man. At the
age of seventeen he came to Russell and studied surveying with Benjamin Smith. He followed surveying several years,
and has acted in that capacity on many occasions. In 1851 he engaged in the mercantile business in Russell, in
which calling he has since been engaged, excepting two years spent on a farm. He has been a great loser by fire,
having been twice burned out with no insurance on stores or contents. His lumber mills at Monterey were also burned,
without insurance. He carries in his store a general stock of goods, with drugs and medicines. He is also a large
real estate owner, having in the towns of Fine and Russell 2,500 acres of wild lands, and several dairy farms in
Russell, and village lots and residences in Russell village. He owns the tub factory of Russell, also the lumber
mills at Silver Hill. In April, 1851, lie married Mary Van Ornum, daughter of Harry Van Ornum, who came with his
parents to Russell in 1813, and is now living at the age of ninety years. They have had five children: Celia G.
(deceased), Morton J. (deceased), Harry F. (deceased), Alden L. and Rolla C., who is engaged in his father's store.
Mr. Palmer is a Republican, and has held various town offices1 including that of town clerk for six years, supervisor
for seven years, and justice of the peace for twenty years. He was member of the assembly from 1867 to 1871, and
has been justice of sessions two years, also was a member of the commission appointed to equalize the assessments
in St. Lawrence county. He has charge of the postoffice for a number of years, under Nelson Doolittle, and in 1860
was appointed postmaster, holding the office until 1866. He was re-appointed under Grant, and held office until
Cleveland's first administration. He was again appointed under Harrison, and has since held the position.
Our County and it's people
A memorial record of St. Lawrence County, New York
Edited by: Gates Curtis
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1894
St Lawrence County
Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F to H
Names I to M
Names N to R
Names S to Z
St Lawrence Counry