David M. Mills, M. D., is engaged in the general practice of his profession at Gouverneur, and is not only one
of the representative physicians and surgeons of his native county, but is also a broad minded, loyal and public
spirited citizen, whose influence has extended in many directions. He was born at Macomb, Aug. 1, 1871, the son
of William and Susan (Starks) Mills.
William Mills, deceased, was a native of Ogdensburg and his wife was born in Watertown. Both are buried at Brasie
Corners, St. Lawrence County. Throughout his life Mr Mills was interested in general farming and stock raising.
He was a Republican and a trustee of the Methodist Church. There were nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Mills:
1. Martin, lives at Gouverneur. 2. Mary, who died in 1924. 3. Lucinda, deceased. 4. Addie, married Horace Bogart,
lives at Macomb. 5. William, lives at Gouverneur. 6. Barbara, married Samuel Jones, lives at Gouverneur. 7. John,
lives at Macomb. 8. George, lives in St. Lawrence County. 9. David M., the subject of this sketch.
After his graduation from high school in 1893, David M. Mills attended Potsdam Normal School. He taught school
for six years before studying medicine, and in 1904 received the degree of Doctor of Medicine from the Medical
School of Syracuse University. He began his professional career at Oxbow, Jefferson County, where he remained until
1915. He has since been engaged in practice at Gouverneur, and is a member of the staff of Stephen VanDuzee Hospital.
He is also identified with the St. Lawrence County Medical Society, New York State Medical Society, and the American
In 1900 Dr. Mills married Miss Grace Brasie, the daughter of Alonzo and Lorraine (Aldous) Brasie. Both are deceased
and are buried at Brasie Corners. Doctor and Mrs. Mills have two children: 1. Doris, married Griffith Wood, lives
at Brooklyn, N. Y. They have two daughters, Jean and Joan. 2. Harry Lloyd, M. D., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere
in this history.
Dr. Mills is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to Gouverneur Lodge, F. and
A. M. No. 217. He is also a director of the Gouverneur Country Club.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932