Burton E. McGee. - As postmaster of Norfolk, Mr. McGee is a well known resident of St. Lawrence County. He was
born at Bangor, Franklin County, May 3, 1880, the son of Ellis and Etta (Orton) McGee.
Ellis McGee, who died Oct. 21, 1930, was a native of Norfolk. His entire life was spent in that section of St.
Lawrence County and for many years he owned and operated a dairy farm of 100 acres near Norfolk. He was a member
of one of the oldest and best known families in the county. He was a Republican, held membership in the Methodist
Church, and belonged to the Grange. Etta (Orton) McGee was born at Bangor and lived at Norfolk. To Mr. and Mrs.
McGee were born three sons: 1. Burton E., the subject of this sketch. 2. Ernest H., farmer, lives at Norfolk. 3.
Gerald E., farmer, lives at Norfolk. He also is widely known as a musician and conductor of a dance band.
After attending Norwood High School, Burton E. McGee engaged in farming with his father for two years. In 1900
he entered the employ of the St. Regis Paper Mill. He was connected with the local post office as rural carrier
for sixteen years and three and one half months, after which he spent two years in farming. He received the appointment
of postmaster in February, 1922, and is a member of the National League of Postmasters.
On Aug. 20, 1904, Mr. McGee married Miss Grace M. Marsh, of Norwood, the daughter of Rufus and Addie (Groves) Marsh.
Both were natives of St. Lawrence County and are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. McGee have five children: 1. Bernine E.,
a graduate of Potsdam State Normal School, now a teacher in Norfolk High School. 2. Frank E., assistant postmaster,
Norfolk. 3. Irene E., attends Potsdam State Normal School. 4. Marion G., attends Norfolk High School 5. Wendell,
a student. Politically Mr. McGee is a Republican. He is an active member of the Methodist Church and is affiliated
with the Masonic Lodge. He also belongs to the Grange.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932