Biography of Orrin E. Martin
St Lawrence County, NY Biographies





Martin, Orrin E., Ogdensburg, was born in Westville, Franklin county, Deceniber 22, 1847. His father, Hollis S., was a son of Samuel Martin, and was born in Compton, P. Q., in 1822. Samuel was born in Londonderry, N. H., in 1775, and his father, Nathaniel, served as body guard to General Washington. Hollis S. moved to Westville with his father in 1834, and after receiving his education learned the blacksmith's trade. He married Paulina E. Ellsworth, of Dear River, Fort Covongton, Franidin county, in 1845, and in 1853 they moved to Chateaugay, Franklin county, where he carried on carriagemaking and blacksmithing till 1868. He then removed to Norfolk, this county, and began the manufacture of wagon hubs and shingles, this being the first hub factory in Northern New York, In 1872 he moved to Norwood, where he and his son Orrin built a large factory and continued the business till 1877, when he sold out to his son Orrin, though he continues to live at Norwood. He had six children: Sidney A., Orrin E., Laura A., Hollis L, Charles A. and Herbert D. His wife died May 5, 1887, and Hollis L. died at Monterey, Mexico, August 24, 1891. The latter was a Republican. Orrin E. was educated in the common schools of Chateangay, and worked at blacksmitbing with his father till the age of eighteen, then went to Malone and engaged with Whittlesy, Perkins & Co. in the machine shop, remaining there one year, then returned to Chateaugay and engaged in the hub business with his father. her. In 1877 he bought his father's interest, and in 1878 the factory with all its contents was burned, with a loss of $20,000 and no insurance. The factory was immediately rebuilt and the business continued till 1880, when Mr. Martin moved to Ogdensbnrg and leased the Craghton's brewery property, building it over into a hub factory and shingle mill. This also was burned a year later with a loss of $9,000, $1,500 insurance. He then leased the Hart pottery property and carried on business till 1887, when he formed a company known as the O. E. Martin Hub Company, incorporated, and associated with him Henry F. James and James G. Westbrook, of Ogdensburg. They continued in business a year, and built large buildings on River street in which to carry on the huh business. The next year Mr. Martin sold his business to Henry F. James, and then bought the stock of the Dunkirk Hub Company of Dunkirk, N. Y., which he later disposed of, and in 1889 bought the Norwood Agricultural Works, formerly owned by S. W. Davis. Mr. Martin built a pulp mill on this place with a capacity of 4,200 tons of wood pulp annually. He also owns a grist mill and built a butter factory in 1893. February 13, 1876, he married Mary J. Butler, only daughter of the late William Butler, of Potsdam, and they have three children : Edith L., Hollis W., and Arthur H. Mr. Martin lives in Ogdensburg and is a Republican in politics, and he and his wife are members of the M. E. church.


FROM:
Our County and it's people
A memorial record of St. Lawrence County, New York
Edited by: Gates Curtis
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1894


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

-

NAVIGATION

St Lawrence County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F to H
Names I to M
Names N to R
Names S to Z

St Lawrence Counry
Histories

Jefferson County
Biographies

Online -
Biographies

New York
Histories


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies