Franklin R. Little. - As secretary treasurer and publisher of the Ogdensburg Republican-Journal, Franklin R.
Little is considered a leading newspaper man and influential figure in the North Country. He was born at Canon
City, Colo., Sept. 10, 1900, the son of Dr. W. T. and Florence (Rockafellow) Little.
Dr. W. T. Little is a native of Berwick, Pa. He is now in charge of the Government Hospital for tubercular veterans
at San Fernando, Calif. Dr. Little is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and is a widely known specialist
in the treatment of tuberculosis and diseases of the chest. He has practiced at Canon City, Colo., and during the
World War held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, Medical Corps, U. S. Army, being in charge of examining boards of
specialists at Kelly Field, Texas; Fort Sill, Okla., and assistant chief of staff of School of Physical Diagnosis
at New Haven, Conn. He also served as chief of staff at General Hospital, No. 21, Denver, Colo., maintained for
tubercular patients. Dr. Little is also a former president of the Colorado State Medical Society. His wife was
born at Canon City, Colo., the daughter of Capt. and Mrs. B. F. Rockafellow, early pioneer settlers in what later
became the State of Colorado. Captain Rockafelbow was one of the leading figures in the political and business
life of early Colorado. He was a second cousin of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. They live at San Fernando. Their sons
are: 1. Franklin R., the subject of this sketch. 2. Wilbur T., Jr., lives at Canon City.
The early education of Franklin R Little was received in the public schools of Canon City. He spent one year at
Colorado College, Colorado Springs, and received the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Princeton University, graduating
with the class of 1922. He began his newspaper career in the advertising field and was identified with the Colorado
Springs Gazette as advertising solicitor, later serving in the same capacity on the Colorado Springs Gazette and
Telegraph. He then became assistant manager of the Williamsport Sun, Williamsport, Pa., and later was advertising
manager. He came to Ogdensburg several years ago as treasurer and publisher of the Ogdensburg Republican-Journal.
He is associated in this enterprise with Frank E. Gannett.
Mr. Little was married on June 20, 1921, to Miss Janet G. Pennoyer, of Chicago, the daughter of George Milton and
Janet (Dunlop) Pennoyer. Both were born in Chicago. The former is deceased and the latter lives at 24 East San
Rafael Street, Colorado Springs. Mr. and Mrs. Little have two sons: 1. Franklin Pennoyer, born in 1922. 2. George
Rockafellow, born in 1925.
Mr. Little is an independent Republican. He is a trustee of the Frederick Remington Memorial, a member of the Board
of Health, and a member of the Library Board of Ogdensburg. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and belongs
to the Century Club, Ogdensburg Country Club, Princeton Club of New York, Knights of Pythias, B. P. O. Elks, and
Ogdensburg Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 128.
During the World War Mr. Little was attached to the Western Collegiate Unit at the Presidio, San Francisco. At
the close of the war he was attending the Fourth Officers Training Camp in San Francisco and had qualified for
a commission as lientenant of infantry when the Armistice was signed.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932