Millard L. Knox. - Holding the offices of Village Treasurer and Town Clerk, Millard L. Knox is recognized as
a reliable citizen of Hermon, and is also a dependable merchant. He was born at DePeyster, St. Lawrence County,
Jan. 12, 1880, the son of Lewis J. and Orisa M. (Lewis) Knox.
Lewis J. Knox, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War. He served as a member of Company C. 60th Regiment, New
York Volunteer Infantry. Both he and his wife were born at Russell, St. Lawrence County. For a time he was interested
in general farming and later became a successful manufacturer of cheese. He owned factories at DePeyster, Hermon,
and Crary Mills. He also manufactured butter. Mr. Knox died in 1919 and is buried at Canton. His widow resides
at Oneida. Mr. Knox was a Republican, a member of Hermon Lodge, F. and A. M. No. 500, and belonged to the Grand
Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Knox had only one child, Millard L., the subject of this sketch.
Millard L. Knox obtained his education in the grade and high schools of Hermon and at an early age became identified
with his father's business. In 1905 he entered the store of his father in law, Elverton B. Peppers, as a clerk,
and in 1916 purchased the business, which has since been operated under the name of M. L. Knox. He is also local
representative for the St. Lawrence Utilities Corporation.
In 1905 Mr. Knox married Miss Jennie E. Peppers, the daughter of Elverton and Ida M. (Waite) Peppers, natives of
New York. They live at Hermon. A son, born to Mr. and Mrs. Knox, Elverton Lewis, died in 1925.
Politically Mr. Knox is a Republican. He has held the office of village treasurer since 1925 and as town clerk
since 1919. He belongs to the Masonic Lodge and Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Knox is known throughout St. Lawrence County as Hermon's village historian, and has recently completed a most
interesting and valuable work of this section.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932