Biography of Levi S. Dominy
St Lawrence County, NY Biographies

Dominy, Levi S., Massena. The great grandfather of our subject, Nathaniel, was born on Long Island in the early part of the 18th century (on the paternal side) and was in the war of the Revolution, being located in New York. His grandfather, William, was born in the same place and was in the battle of Plattsburg in the war of 1812. His grandfather on the maternal side was on the staff of General Warren, and caught him when he fell at the battle of Bunker Hill, Levi, our subject, son of William and Betsey (Huntley) Dominy, was born October 23, 1831, in Beekmantown, Clinton county, N, Y., was educated at the common schools and graduated at the Albany Normal School in 1853. He then taught school nearly all the time until 1862 at a private academy at West Chazy, N. Y. He was mustered into the U. S. service as captain of Co. B., 118th N. Y. Inf., August 29, 1862, at Plattsburg and went to Relay House, Md. On October 24, he went to Port Ethan Allen, Va., and from there was detached on engineer duty, which he performed till December, 1862, when he accompanied his regiment to Washington, D. C. He was then detached and placed in charge of the Baltimore and Washington depot and Soldier's Retreat, where he remained until April 20, 1863, when he and his regiment were ordered to Suffolk, Va., where they participated in the engagement against General Longstreet. His regiment was ordered to Yorktown, Va., and subsequently participated in the expedition of Gen. J. A. Dix against Richmond. At the close of the expedition the regiment returned to Yorktown and the captain was detached on court martial duty until October 7, 1862, when the regiment was ordered to Norfolk and the captain was detached on military commission. In early December the regiment removed to Newport News and he was detached on court martial and continued in that duty till February, 1864, when he and his regiment were in the movement under General 074 who co operated with General Kilpatrick in an effort to release the Union prisoners in Richmond. That movement proving a failure, his regiment was removed to Bower's Hill and the captain was again detached and placed in command of an infantry force which was to hold the outposts at Suffolk, Va. While there they had a severe engagement with the enemy, but held their position. On April 20 the regiment was ordered to Yorktown and became part of the forces known as the army of North Carolina and Virginia, commanded by Major General Butler. He participated in the battle of Walthall Junction, Va. He took command of his regiment during the battle of Drury's Bluff, which was a seveve one, the 118th lost 199 men out of a total of 320. May 27 the regiment took transport for White House, Va., from which point they joined the army of the Potomac and participated in the battle of Cold Harbor, the captain in command of the regiment. On June 12 the regiment took transport from White House to Bermuda Hundred and participated in the first attack on Petersburg, June 15, 1864. In August, 1864, the regiment was returned to the command of General Butler at Bermuda Hundred, where they remained until September 29, when they crossed the James river and carried Fort Harrison. This is the only engagement of the 118th regiment in which the subject of this sketch did not participate, he being at the time absent with leave. He was promoted to major, September 16, 1864, to take rank from June 15, 1864; and to lieutenant colonel, February 28, 1864, to take rank from September 16, 1864; and was brevetted colonel after tho close of the war by Gov. Reuben E. Fenton, for gallant and meritorious services. On October 27, 1864, he commanded his regiment at the second battle of Fair Oaks, Va., after which he returned to Fort Harrison, where he was detached as president of court martial at headquarters of Gen. Charles Devens. On April 3, 1865, he was with his regiment at the capture of Richmond, where he remained till his regiment was mustered out, June 13, 1865. After the close of the war he entered the University of Albany in the department of law, from which he received the degree of L. B, May 26, 1866, and was admitted to the practice of his profession. For several years he was superintendent of the "Queen of the Harvest" Manufacturing Company at West Chazy, N. Y. In 1882 he located at Massena and began the practice of law, and he still remains there. In politics he has always been a staunch Republican, and has been justice of the peace for seven years, on the board of education for nine years, etc. He married, first, Betsey, daughter of Simeon Hedding of Chazy, N. Y., November 6, 1852. She died August 7, 1873. For his second wife he married Fannie E., daughter of Cornelius De Witt of Fredonia, N. Y. They had one daughter, Belle, born July 4, 1880, and died July 21, 1881.

Our County and it's people
A memorial record of St. Lawrence County, New York
Edited by: Gates Curtis
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1894

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies



St Lawrence County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F to H
Names I to M
Names N to R
Names S to Z

St Lawrence Counry

Jefferson County

Online -

New York

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies