Lewis D. Dewey, who is news editor of the Courier and Freeman, is considered a leading newspaper man of St.
Lawrence County and is a prominent citizen of Potsdam. He was born in this city, Nov. 15, 1890, the son of Frederick
L. and Jessie (Henry) Dewey.
Frederick L. Dewey, deceased, was a representative citizen of Potsdam, where he served for many years as president
of the Citizens National Bank. He was born at Otego, N. Y., and in 1878 was graduated from Delaware Literary Institute
at Franklin. Four years later he received a degree from Hamilton College, and spent the following three years as
a member of the faculty of Delaware Literary Institute. He came to Potsdam in 1885 to take the chair in Latin and
Greek in Potsdam State Normal School, and remained in that capacity until 1892. Mr. Dewey was one of the founders
of the Racquette River Paper Company, of which he served as treasurer for three years, and he was also treasurer
and manager of the Colton Pulp Company. He was identified with the Canton Lumber Company and in 1906 became president
of the Citizens National Bank of Potsdam. Mr. Dewey was a Republican and served as treasurer of the Republican
county committee for many years. He was also president of the library board, treasurer of the board of trustees
of Potsdam State Normal School, and president of the Potsdam Club. He was a prominent member of Trinity Episcopal
Church and belonged to the Masonic Lodge, Sigma Phi and Phi Beta Kappa fraternities. He was a director of the Northern
New York Trust Company from its organization until his death. Jessie (Henry) Dewey was born at Potsdam and now
resides at Canandaigua, N. Y. Their only child was Lewis D., the subject of this sketch.
After his graduation from Potsdam High School, Lewis D. Dewey attended Potsdam State Normal School and Hamilton
College. Then he became associated in business with Robert H. Byrns under the firm name of Dewey & Byrns, automobile
dealers. The partnership continued for three years and in 1913 Mr. Dewey accepted his present position on the Courier
and Freeman as news editor. He was also interested in the coal business at Watertown from 1923 until 1928, as secretary
treasurer of the Bisnett & Dewey Coal Company, and later, when the firm was merged with the H. E. Tyler Company,
Mr. Dewey served as vice president.
On June 29, 1916, Mr. Dewey was united in marriage with Miss Alice Edna Sanford, of Potsdam, the daughter of Herbert
J. and Bertha (Chittenden) Sanford, natives of Hopkinton, N. Y. The former died in 1924 and the latter lives at
Potsdam. Mr. and Mrs. Dewey have a son, Sanford Dayton, born Oct. 16, 1917.
Mr. Dewey is identified with the Republican party in politics. He is chief of the local fire department and was
a member of the board of education for three years. His wife holds membership in the Presbyterian Church and he
is affiliated with B. P. O. Elks.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932