E. Harold Cole. - As supervising principal of Potsdam High School, Mr. Cole takes a prominent part in the civic
life of the community. He was born at Gouverneur, Aug. 19, 1899, the son of Edson H. and Grace Luella (Phillips)
Cole. Edson H. Cole was born at Gouverneur. He was engaged in the grocery and meat business there for a number
of years. He later lived at Pope Mills, where he conducted a general mercantile business until 1922, when he moved
to Watertown, where he and his family now reside. He is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church and belongs
to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. To Mr. and Mrs. Cole were born three children: E. Harold, the subject
of this sketch. Willabel Grace, married Paul P. Mitchell, lives at Watertown, and George Glyndon, lives at Watertown.
After his graduation from Gouverneur High School in 1917, E. Harold Cole entered St. Lawrence University from which
he received the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1921. His teaching career began at Carthage, where he remained
for one year. He spent two years in the public schools of Oswego, three years at Potsdam, and two years at White
Plains. In 1928 Mr. Cole received the degree of Master of Arts at Teachers College, Columbia University, and in
1929 returned to Potsdam as supervising principal of the high school.
On Aug. 17, 1929, Mr. Cole married Miss Mary Elizabeth Graves, of Union Springs, N. Y., the daughter of Charles
A. and Mary Elizabeth Graves. Mr. Graves died May 10, 1929, and his widow resides at Union Springs.
Politically Mr. Cole is a Republican. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Frontier City Lodge, F. and A.
M., Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity, and Potsdam Country Club.
During the World War Mr. Cole served as a member of the Student Army Training Corps at St. Lawrence University,
and he is a member of Frank Barclay Post No. 74, American Legion.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932