Cecil M. Brownlow, who is manager of Foster & Adams, brokers, is among Ogdensburg's progresive and successful
business men. He was born in this city, June 18, 1883, the son of Dr. John H. and Elsie (Judson) Brownlow.
Dr. John H. Brownlow was a native of Quebec. He came to the United States in 1862 and during the Civil War served
as a surgeon in Herwood Hospital, Washington, D. C. He practiced medicine at Pittsburgh, Pa., from 1865 until 1870,
and then located in Ogdensburg. He died in this city in 1899. Dr. Brownlow was a Republican, a member of the Masonic
Lodge, and belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic. His widow was born in Ogdensburg. Their children were: 1.
Harry, who died in infancy. 2. Cecil M., the subject of this sketch. 3. John H., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere
in this history.
Cecil M. Brownlow received his education at Ogdensburg and attended St. John's School at Manlius, N. Y. He was
graduated in 1904 from Philip Exeter Academy, and upon his return to Ogdensburg spent four years as secretary of
the Arnold Brewing Company. He became interested in the automobile busines in this city and until 1912 had the
agency for the Oldsmobile, Packard, Chalmers, and Hudson cars successively. He then became sales manager for the
McLaughlin Motor Car Company in the Province of Saskatchewan. He was appointed district sales manager of the automobile
division of the American Locomotive Company at Winnipeg, Canada, during 1914-15. He then became chief inspector
of motor vehicles for the State of New York, with headquarters in Albany. His next position was with the St. Lawrence
Metal Products Corporation. In 1917 he entered the service of the war department, Bureau of Aircraft Production,
and was stationed at Detroit, Mich., as an inspector of airplane motors. He served in that capacity for two years
and upon his return to Ogdensburg again became one of the city's leading automobile dealers, being agent for the
Lincoln and Packard cars. Since 1929 he has been manager of the office of Foster & Adams, 314 State Street.
Mr. Brownlow is a Republican, a member of the Episcopal Church, and belongs to the Masonic Lodge, Elks Lodge, Century
Club, and Ogdensburg Country Club.
Mr. Brownlow is the owner of "Nirvana Island" in Chippewa Bay. It contains 32 acres and was formerly
owned by his father, who it is claimed conceived the idea of owning islands for summer home sites in the St. Lawrence
region. Members of this family have always been ardent sportsmen and owners of fine yachts.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932