Biography of William B. Gage
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD
OF SARATOGA COUNTY, NEW YORK
PREPARED AND PUBLISHED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE SARATOGIAN
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1899

T-Saratoga Springs, New York Directories, 1888-92

-------------------------------------------



WILLIAM B. GAGE.

WILLIAM B. GAGE, of Gage & Perry, proprietors of the United States Hotel, at Saratoga Springs, was born in Schenectady, N. Y., May 24, 1842, but nearly all his life he has been a resident of Saratoga Springs. There is a homely saying that "It is not every one who can keep a hotel." This is emphatically true, but Mr. Gage may not be counted among the "can'ts." His whole business life has been devoted to the vocation, which, in itself, is presumptive evidence that he is fitted by nature and education for the peculiar and varied duties that rest upon the shoulders of the successful innkeeper.

In 1862 and 1863 Mr. Gage was employed in the office of the old United States Hotel as clerk, and for the three following years was cashier in the New York Hotel in New York city. From 1866 to 1869 he served as cashier at Willard's Hotel, Washington, D. C., and early in the latter year he returned to Saratoga Springs where he was cashier at Congress Hall until the close of the season. He then went as cashier to the Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York, where he remained until 1873. This experience of over ten years in some of the leading hotels of the country developed and strengthened his taste for, and knowledge of, the hotel business, and prepared him for the responsibilities of membership in the firm of Tompkins, Gage & Perry, who built and opened the new United States Hotel in Saratoga Springs in 1874. Since that date his connection with the United States has been uninterrupted.

Mr. Gage is intimately connected with the business life of Saratoga Springs, and is active and influential in all measures leading to the advancement of his home village; he is a member of the board of directors of the First National Bank, and an owner and director of the Saratogian, the leading newspaper of the county; he has also been for many years a vestryman in Bethesda Episcopal church.

On September 29, 1875, he married Caroline B., third daughter of Hon. James M. Marvin. They have had four children, as follows: William Marvin, Augusta W., Rhoby Marvin and James Marvin.


Return to [Saratoga County Bio's ] [ Saratoga County History ] [ Online Biographies ]


.Blind Counter

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy