B. KREISCHER & SONS.
THE business of B. Kreischer & Sons was established at Kreischerville in 1852, by Balthasar Kreischer. Mr.
Kreischer was born in Germany in. 1813, where he learned the bushiness of stone cutter and sculptor. He came to
America soon after the fire of 1835, which destroyed a great portion of New York city. For a while he carried the
trade of master builder, and erected many buildings in the burned district. Soon afterward, having discovered large
deposits of fire clay in New Jersey, he began the manufacture of fire brick at 58 Goerck street, New York; his
business increased rapidly, and in about the year 1852 he discovered the extensive clay deposits in the vicinity
of the present village of Kreischerville.
With a keen foresight, he bought up large quantities of land including nearly all of the best clay banks in the
vicinity, and set to work to build one of the largest fire brick factories to be found in this country, where the
industry was then in its infancy.
Mr. Kreischer then gathered around him men skilled in the manufacture of fire brick, and was able from the first
to turn out an article superior to the best imported bricks. The works have been twice completely destroyed by
fire; once in 1867 and again in 18p, and each time they have been rebuilt, more complete than before.
In all its machinery and methods, the factory has kept pace with the latest improvements of the times, and its
brand of goods has always commanded the highest prices; and while other factories have closed up or curtailed their
production, this factory has always pressed forward with a steady growth of capacityand output.
The large and thriving village which has grown up and around this single industry shows how important a part it
has paid in the prosperity of this end of Staten Island. One important branch of this industry, aside from fire
brick, is the manufacture of gas retorts, an invention especially due Mr. Kreischer. These retorts are in use in
nearly every city in the Union.
Mr. Kreischer was also one of the originators of the Staten Island Railroad Company, and was for a time president,
and during his term, he instituted many improvements, which were of lasting benefit to the road.
When the Staten Island factory was built the manufacture of fire brick in New York was abandoned, but the New York
office was retained, at which nearly all of the business was transacted. In 1871. George F. Kreischer, the eldest
son, was taken into partnership by his father, and he assumed charge of the New York office.
In 1878, Charles. C. and Edward B., the two younger sons, were taken into the copartnership, and the firm assumed
the style and title of B. Kreischer & Sons, as it exists today.
Mr. Kreischer was a type of man too rarely seen in this country, where there is little sympathy or mutual interest
between employer and employe. .
He always took a lively interest in all that pertained to the personal welfare of his employes, and considered
it both a duty and a pleasure to advise and help them, and two of the latest acts of his life were to build a handsome
church and school house and to establish a mutual benefit society for the relief of the sick and injured. Both
Mr. Kreischer and his sons contributed. liberally to the funds of this society and took a personal interest' in
its success, and thus enabled their men to be self supporting in time of sickness, instead of being obliged to
depend on charity. In a thousand ways Mr. Kreischer showed an interest in the welfare of his employes that went
beyond the question of mere work and wages, and seldom has an employer been more sincerely mourned by all classes
than Mr. Kreischer, whose death occurred in 1886 at his home in Kreischerville.
Prominent Men of Staten Island 1893
A. Y. Hubbell, Publishers
New York, 1893.
Richmond County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium