McLaren, John and Robert. In 1851, in company with his brother David, John McLaren emigrated from Scotland to
America and settled in West Troy, and in 1854 Robert and his parents, John and Mary, joined them. John commenced
work in the West Troy Woolen Mills. Robert went to Pittsfield, Mass., where he worked in the mills, thence to North
Adams where he was eleven years boss dyer. John was engaged at different places in the mills and in 1865 came to
West Sand Lake and became one of the firm of Kidder, Aiken & McLaren in the manufacture of knit woolen goods.
The firm was changed to Aiken & McLaren, and finally the building was burned. In 1881 Robert joined his brother
and the establishment was rebuilt and has since been run under the name of J. & R. McLaren. John McLaren was
born in Scotland in 1830 and died in West Sand Lake in December, 1894; his widow, Elizabeth Lester, a native of
Stephentown, and three children, J. Howard, David G. and Ella M., survive him. Robert McLaren was born in Scotland
in 1834 and died in West Sand Lake in September, 1889; his widow, Sarah Bickley, of Lee, Mass., and three chilpren,
John R., Ida B. and Robert L., reside at West Sand Lake. Robert was a member of Lafayette Lodge, North Adams, F.
& A. M. On January 1, 1895, J. Howard aind his cousin John R. took charge of the business. They manufacture
a fine quality of knit underwear and overshirts and employ about seventy hands.
Landmarks of Rensselaer County
BY: George Baker Aaderson
Published By: D. Mason & Co. Publishers
Syracuse, NY 1897
Rensselaer County, NY
Names A to F
Names G to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium