Jones, Eugene M., M.D., was born in Berlin in 1859. Timothy Jones, his greatgrandfather, was born in Rhode Island,
one of ten Sons whose father settled in Berlin at an early date, where he took up 1,000 acres of land. Russell
R., his grandfather, was born in Petersburgh in 1808, became a farmer and owned two farms at the time of his death.
His wife was Annis Clark; their children were Darius, Ann, Samantha, Lucinda, and Antoinette, all now living but
Ann; he died when about sixty eight years of age. Darius, the father of Eugene, was born in Petersburgh in 1827.
became a wagonmaker, owned and operated a shop in the village of Berlin for twenty years and also followed carpentry
for some years. About 1879 he came in possession of his father's homestead of 100 acres, and in 1885 removed to
the farm where he has since resided. His wife was Jane, daughter of Oliver and Nancy (Wilcox) Main. Their children
are Byron W., Eugene M., and Ransom L. Dr. Jones worked in his father's shop when a boy, later engaged at blacksmith
work in the village of Berlin. When twenty years of age he married Carrie, daughter of David C. and Ann Eliza (Saunders)
Crandall; to this union were born two children, Lena C. and Nellie B. His wife died about three years later. When
twenty two he began the study of medicine under Dr. Merryott. He later registered and practiced one year under
Dr. Moses of Petersburgh, then studied three years under Dr. Fred Green, during this time attending the Albany
Medical College. from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1887. In 1891 he passed the State Civil
Service examination and received his certificate. His first practice for himself was begun in March, 1887. in the
town of Grafton, where he practiced for five years. In the spring of 1892 he removed to the village of Petersburgh,
where he soon had an extensive ride and in addition to this he retained his practice in Grafton. In February, 1896,
through the earnest solicitation of his friends and patrons of the town of Grafton, he returned to that town, where
he has a good and reliable patronage with bright prospects for a future life of usefulness and success in his profession.
In May, 1887, he married his second wife, Miss Mamie O'NNeil of Albany. They have one child, Viola T.
Landmarks of Rensselaer County
BY: George Baker Aaderson
Published By: D. Mason & Co. Publishers
Syracuse, NY 1897
Rensselaer County, NY
Names A to F
Names G to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium