Dwyer, Thomas H., was born in West Troy November 22, 1847, and is a son of William and Ann (Delaney) Dwyer.
His father died in 1863 and his mother in 1882. He was educated in the public schools and St. Joseph's Academy.
In 1862 he enlisted at Troy, in the 12th N. Y. Cavalry and served in the Department of North Carolina until August,
1865. Upon his return to Troy he learned the carriage maker's trade at Lown & Horton's carriage works, at the
corner of Broadway and Seventh street, where the Geo. P. Ide & Co.'s collar factory now stands; they were the
largest carriage works in Troy at that time. He was appointed a member of the Old Capitol police force in 1870
and served as a police officer until 1874, when he purchased the carriage and wagon business of Lawrence Sheary,
and carried on the business alone until 1892, when he formed a partnership with A. H. Davitt and carried on the
business under the firm name of Dwyer & Davitt for the sale of the celebrated Studebaker vehicles, for which
they have the sole agency for Troy and Albany. He is senior vice commander of the John McConihe Post No. 18, G.
A. R. In 1876 he married Margaret Dorsey of Troy.
Landmarks of Rensselaer County
BY: George Baker Aaderson
Published By: D. Mason & Co. Publishers
Syracuse, NY 1897
Rensselaer County, NY
Names A to F
Names G to P
Names Q to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium