Biography of John M. Corless
Rensselaer County, NY Biographies





Corless, John Moore, was born in Orford, N. H., June 7, 1813, and was a lineal descendant in the sixth generation from George Corliss, the founder of the family in America. who was born in County Devonshire, England. about 1617, came to this country in 1639, and settled in Newbury, Mass., where he died in 1686. The farm purchased by him in 1640 has been in the family ever since and is now owned by George Corliss of the sixth generation. The descendants of this pioneer have been prominent in civil, military, and commercial affairs, many of them being minutemen, volunteers and officers of rank in the wars of 1757, 1776, 1812 and 1861. John M. Corliss was the second son of four children of John Moore and Rosamond Corliss, natives respectively of Alexandria and Deerfield, N. H. His minority was spent on the parental farm, in attendance at the district school, and as a student at the Bradford and Haverhill Academies, and as a teacher for five terms. In 1836 he settled permanently in Troy, where in the spring of 1837 he engaged in the grocery business. In 1838 he formed a copartnership with Arnold H. Hoidridge, under the firm name of Holdridge & Corliss, and began the manufacture of linen collars and shirt fronts on the corner of Sixth and State streets. In 1839 he became sole owner and manager of the establishment. The following year John M. White became his partner under the style of Corliss & White, and from 1842 to 1846 he was again alone. From 1846 to 1868 Hiram House was associated with him, the firm being Corliss & House except between 1854 and 1857, when it was Corliss,. House & Co., Samuel N. Ide being the third partner. In 1868 his son, Wilbur F. Corliss, became his partner in the place of Mr. House under the firm name of J. M. Corliss & Son. Mr. Corliss retired from business in 1882, and on November 1 of that year the firm of Corliss Brothers & Co., was formed, consisting of Wilbur F., Charles H. and John A. Corliss and Elmer H. Garrett. On November 1, 1890, Charles H. retired, and on July 1, 1895, Mr. Garrett withdrew. The present firm of Corliss, Coon & Co. was then organized by Wilbur F. and John A. Corliss and John H. Coon, jr., Albert E. Coon, the latter being sons of John H. Coon, Sr., the senior member of the old firm of Coon & Co. and now one of the firm of Cluett, Coon & Co. In 1878 the concern occupied its present quarters on the corner of Broadway and Fifth avenue. At the time of his retirement in 1882 John M. Corliss was the oldest manufacturer of collars and cuffs in Troy and had been connected with the business longer than any other man. He was one of the pioneers engaged in that industry and many manufacturers acquired their first experience in his establishment. He was continuously in the business for forty three years, and as early as 1860 started a branch in New York city. He has been a director of what is now the Union National Bank of Troy since 1853 and vice president since November, 1870. On May 5, 1881, he was elected a trustee of the Troy Savings Bank. In politics he was originally a Democrat, but since the election of Lincoln he has been a staunch Republican. He married, first, in 1839, Mary H., daughter of Benjamin R. Hoyt, of Newbury, Vt., who died in 1842. In 1848 he married, second, Antoinette H., daughter of Alfred Masher, of Lenox, O., who died in 1887. Mr. John M. Corliss died June 7, 1892.

From:
Landmarks of Rensselaer County
BY: George Baker Aaderson
Published By: D. Mason & Co. Publishers
Syracuse, NY 1897


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Rensselaer County, NY
Biographies


Names A to F
Names G to P
Names Q to Z

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012