William C. Smith, who is vice president and plant manager of the Fulton branch of the McHenry Millhouse Manufacturing
Company, is among the most prominent citizens of Fulton, where he is also a director of the Oswego County Trust
Company and the Fulton Savings Bank. Mr. Smith was born at Galien, Mich., Jan. 21, 1885, the son of Philip H. and
Mary Ellen (McGlinsey) Smith.
Philip H. Smith was born in Snyder County, Pa. In early life he went to Michigan where he was interested in farming.
Later he removed to Bristol, Ind., and was living retired there at the time of his death in 1924. His widow was
born in Snyder County, in 1857, and lives at Bristol. Their children were: 1. Edward C. 2. William C., the subject
of this sketch. 3. Ray C. 4. Mrs. D. C. Metzger. All except the subject are residents of South Bend, Ind.
William C. Smith was ten years of age when his family removed to South Bend, Ind. He attended the public schools
there and in 1903 became identified with the McHenry-Millhouse Manufacturing Company. The company's headquarters
are in Chicago, Ill., with branch plants at Fulton, N. Y., and Franklin, Ohio. They are manufacturers of asphalt
roofing and shingles. The Fulton plant employs about 50 men and was established here by Mr. Smith in 1917.
On Nov. 17, 1911, Mr. Smith married Miss Ethlyn L. Allen, a native of Toronto, Canada, the daughter of J. C. Allen.
He died at South Bend, Ind., in 1929. His widow lives at that place. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have two children: 1. Harold
C., born in 1914. 2. Betty Jane, born in 1918.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Citizens Club of Fulton, Rotary Club, and Chamber of Commerce. He also belongs to
the Masonic and Elk Lodges.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium