St. Francis Home, of Oswego, was organized in 1885 and incorporated two years later. To give an interesting
and complete description of the work of this institution it is necessary to go back as early as the year 1885,
when the work of caring for the orphan children of Oswego was begun. Up to this time the Franciscan Sisters felt
the need of an institution for the care and protection of the poor and unfortunate children of the city. It seemed
providential that the Ludlow estate was then for sale, as it appeared just the place for this particular purpose.
Accordingly, the property was purchased by the Sisters, and the house was blessed. The 20 little children were
then removed there and thus found a comfortable and happy home for many years. Although the home was small it served
as a beginning, and in 1887 it was incorporated at St. Francis Home.
Plans were later made for the erection of a separate building for the boys. The number of orphans was increasing
and one building was too small to accommodate both boys and girls. Work was begun and in 1912 the boys' building
was completed. Many improvements have been made in the original building and together they are considered as one
of the finest institutions in this section of the State.
The people of Oswego have always shown a keen interest in the Home and its affairs and have contributed to its
Both buildings are under the direction of one board of directors and trustees and the same sister superintendent.
However, there is a whole hearted cooperation on the part of all connected with both institutions and together
they are endeavoring to continue that idea of noble service rendered to God's helpless little ones, services which
are rendered unsparingly with one ideal in view, to assist the needy.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium