Salisbury, Moreau J., was born in Oswego county August 2, 1840. The Salisburys were among the early settlers
of this section and are counted among the most prominent families. Ever since the organization of the town the
family has been active in public affairs. His grandfather, Reuben, who was a native of Vermont, settled in the
eastern part of what is now the town of Sandy Creek in 1822. He was a lieutenant in the war of 1812, his commission
now in the possession of Mr. Salisbury, dated April 10, 1813, was signed by the colonel cf the 30th U. S. Inf.
He died here, aged seventy nine. Mason, the third son of eleven children born to Reuben Salisbury, and the father
of the subject of the sketch, wasborn in Vermont and came herewith his parents when twelve years of age. In 1833
he married Miss Mary Olmstead, who was born in Delaware county, N. Y., in 1808. To them were born Sarah M., Violet,
Moreau J., Ann, all living. Mason Salisbury was a miller by occupation, and served the town as justice of the peace
thirty three years, and up to the time of his death was a member of Assembly (in 1860-61), and served the U. S.
government as enrolling officer during the late war. He died here in 1877, aged sixty seven, and is survived by
his widow, who is still active at the age of eighty five. Moreau J. Salisbury was educated in the public schools
of the town, at Pulaski Academy and Cazenovia Seminary. He served in Co. G, 24th Regiment N. Y. Vol. Inf., enlisting
in May, 1861; was with the regiment and participated in all its engagements up to, and including the battle of
Antietam namely, Falmouth, Gainesville Second Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam; was wounded at Bull Run, and
Antietam, and was discharged May 29, 1863, with the rank of sergeant. The 24th Regiment was in the First Army Corps,
First Division, and First Brigade, known as the "Iron Brigade." January 8, 1867, he married Helen M.,
daughter of Lucius and Caroline (Mills) Warriner, to whom were born Fanny C., wife of F. A. Wood of Woodville,
Jefferson county, N. Y., M. Juliet, Mason W. (deceased), and Lucius A. Mrs. Salisbury, who was an active member
of the Congregational Church died August 2, 1891. Mr. Salisbury was a member of the Board of Water Commissioners
when the waterworks were built in 1891, and has since served the village in the same capacity. He is also a member
of the G. A. R., and for many years has been quartermaster of A. J. Barney Post. He has served his town as collector
and town clerk. He has continued the business carried on by his father, and runs the only grist mill in Sandy Creek
village In 1885 he built a commodious mill (old mill destroyed by fire), and uses the the stone and roller process.
The mill has a capacity of 36,000 pounds of grain and and 6,000 pounds of buckwheat per day.
Landmarks of Oswego County
Edited by: John C. Churchill, LL.D.
Assisted by: H, Perry Smith and W. Stanley Child
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1895
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium