William A. Leask. - Outstanding among Oswego's progressive business men is William A. Leask, who is general
manager and treasurer of the Leask Manufacturing Company. He was born at Rochester, N. Y., July 7, 1888, the son
of John and Helen (Walker) Leask.
John Leask, who died in 1921, was a native of St. Andrews, Scotland, and his wife was also born in that country.
He was interested in the dry goods business in Scotland during his early youth and at the age of 21 years started
for America on the vessel, "Strathmore," which was shipwrecked during the voyage. The entire crew and
passenger list were marooned on an island for six months and suffered many privations before being rescued. Mr.
Leask finally located at Oswego in 1908 and became identified with the interests of the Nottingham Knitting Company.
Three years later he and his son, William A., organized the Sterling Manufacturing Company, with which Mr. Leask
was identified until the time of his death in 1921. He was a Republican and a member of Grace Presbyterian Church.
His wife died in 1929. Both are buried at Oswego. Their only child was William A., the subject of this sketch.
The boyhood of William A. Leask was spent at Oneida, N. Y., where he was educated. He also lived at Elmira for
a time. In 1908 he entered the employ of the Nottingham Knitting Company, but as mentioned above he transferred
his interests to the Sterling Manufacturing Company in 1911. Upon the death of his father in 1921 Mr. Leask organized
and incorporated the Leask Manufacturing Company, of which he is general manager and treasurer. The company occupies
a modern factory building with 20,000 square feet of floor space. They are widely known manufacturers of women's
house dresses and bath robes, their entire output being sold to practically one concern. Approximately 150 people
are employed, at least half of whom are women in their own homes who sew for the company.
In 1914 Mr. Leask was united in marriage with Miss Louise Bush, of Oswego, the daughter of George W. and Cora (Petrie)
Bush, of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Leask have two children: William M., born April 6, 1917; and Helen Louise, born
Feb. 15, 1920.
Mr. Leask is a Republican in politics and during 1926-29 served as city chamberlain. He is a trustee of Grace Presbyterian
Church and he is also a director of the Y. M. C. A., and a member of the advisory board of the Salvation Army.
Mr. Leask is affiliated with Aeonian Lodge F. & A. M., and belongs to the Fortnightly Club, Leather Stocking
Club, and Oswego Country Club. He also holds membership in the Mad River Club, of Camden, N. J., and is an ardent
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium