Sylvester D. Keller, M. D. - A general practitioner who is held in high regard by his medical associates and
the general public in and about Fulton, where for many years he has engaged in practice, Dr. Keller is a progressive
representative of his profession. He was born near Fulton, at the village of Volney, April 14, 1879, the son of
F. A. and Elizabeth Anne (Churches) Keller.
F. A. Keller was born at Schroeppel, N. Y., July 3, 1849. He was a farmer, and for more than a quarter of a century
also owned a hotel in Fulton. He was interested in trading on the Erie Canal during the early days. Mr. Keller
was a member of Volney Grange. His wife was born April 28, 1859, the daughter of John Churches, who came to New
York from England, being among the first settlers of Oswego County. He was a farmer and builder. He married Jane
Appleby. F. A. Keller died Sept. 21, 1908, and his widow resides at Los Angeles, Calif. Their only child was Sylvester
D., the subject of this sketch.
The Keller family is of Dutch origin, and there are numerous descendants living in northern New York. The family
settled in Herkimer County in 1790. Andrew, Casper, Henry, Honas, Jacob, John, Rudolph, and David were early founders
of the Keller family in Montgomery County, N. Y. David Keller married Mamie Moyer.
Sylvester D. Keller attended the public schools of Fulton from which he was graduated in 1901. He then entered
the medical school of Syracuse University, from which he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1906. After
three years of practice at Volney Center, Dr. Keller returned to Fulton in 1909. In that year he purchased the
business property of Dr. Charles G. Bacon, which he has since occupied. The late Dr. Bacon practiced medicine in
Fulton and Oswego County for more than half a century. He was born at Trenton, Oneida County, N. Y., Oct 20, 1814,
and at the age of 23 years began the study of medicine under Dr. N. R. Tefft, of Onondaga. In 1840 he entered Albany
Medical College, and in the following year Dr. Bacon located in Fulton. He died there in 1901.
During 1912 Dr. Keller took graduate work in surgery in the Polyclinic Hospital, New York City. He again studied
there in 1915 and 1917. He has attended clinics throughout the United States and Canada, and is widely known as
an industrial surgeon. Doctor Keller was president of the Fulton Board of Health at one time, and was examiner
for the State Compensation Commission from 1924 until 1927. He has also been president of the Oswego County Medical
Society, president of the Fulton Academy of Medicine, and president of the medical board of Lee Memorial Hospital,
Doctor Keller is also interested in the Henderson-Thomson Company, of Fulton, and was vice president of the organization
from 1924 until the death of Edward Quirk. Doctor Keller then succeeded to the presidency. He has extensive business
holdings in the city and is recognized as an able business man as well as a successful physician and surgeon.
On Oct. 2, 1907, Doctor Keller was united in marriage with Miss Rose May Gifford, of Canastota, N. Y., the daughter
of Reuben E. and Mary Gifford. Both were born in New York. Mr. Gifford is deceased, and his widow resides at Canastota.
Dr. Keller is a Republican, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is affiliated with the Masonic and Elk Lodges,
Rotary Club, Citizens Club of Fulton, Oswego Yacht Club, Chamber of Commerce, Maccabees and Modern Woodmen.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium